The Riptides finished off 2014 with the Distance Challenge time trial where swimmers were challenged to swim the longer events: 200, 400 or 800 free and 200 or 400 IM. Two new club records were set: Emiko dropped 35 seconds off Rachel Olson’s record in the 400 IM and Neo went 16 seconds faster than the Simon Cuell’s club record in the 800 free. Other highlights:
- Joanna & Jeremy qualified for AGT in the 400 free and swam the 400 IM for the time
- Marin got an MQT in the 400 free in her first time swimming the event
- Cassidy swam the 800 free for the first time and got an MQT
- 400 IM – Sean got a new B time and Josh, Alex, Avery, Avi and Domenic got MQTs
- Emily swam a new B time in the 400 free
After a week rest at Christmas, swimmers endured a tough week long training camp over the remaining holidays to get them prepared for their first meet of 2015, the UCSC Grand Prix at the University of Calgary.
Emiko led the Riptides with three 1st, one 2nd and three 4th place finishes. She broke three club records in the 100 and 200 back and the 100 free. Neo set a new club record in the 100 fly and had two 2nd and two 4th place finishes.
- Alex qualified for Provincials by getting an A time in the 50 fly and finishing 2nd. He was 3rd in the 100 fly and had huge drops of 44 seconds in the 200 breast and 31 seconds in the 400 free.
- Aydan qualified for Trials with a 66 second drop in the 400 free and swam all PBs
- Marin got her first B time in the 100 free and swam all PBs
- Avi dropped 30 seconds for a new MQT in the 400 free
- Joanna got PBs in all her races and two 5th place finishes in 200 free and 200 back
Next up is the Subway Rockies Pentathlon #2 hosted by the Riptides on February 14.